Towards the end of last year, we began a series of events called the Concept Album Talks. The idea is simultaneously simple and slightly complicated.
Essentially, there are just seven rules:
- We pick a record.
- The name of the album becomes the name of the event.
- The title of each talk is taken from the songs on the album.
- We arrange the speakers. Each speaker is limited to the duration of their given track.
- Each speaker will gives a talk that relates to the track title.
- They won’t be able to talk about the song though.
- That’s it.
Previously, we have done Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd and Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, and we were thinking of which album to do next.
Like pretty much everyone on the planet (apart from one or two high-profile newspaper columnists) we were extremely shocked and saddened by the unexpected death of David Bowie (I wrote about my own personal reaction to the news here).
And so, it seems that if we wanted to do another Concept Album Talks event (which we do), then here is only one album that we could possibly choose: Blackstar.
We’ll be announcing details of the date and venue shortly.