Please note: NEW VENUE: Old Bank of England pub, 194 Fleet St, London EC4A 2LT, starting at 6pm
A while back we held our first Concept Album Talks.
The idea is pretty simple. It came about as we were trying to think of an interesting way to structure a set of talks from interesting people. We liked the idea of giving our speakers some constraints to work with, to give them a little bit of a challenge.
When you’re preparing a talk, the two most important things are the subject matter (what you are going to talk about) and the duration (how long you are going to talk for).
We realised that if you take the tracklisting from an album, then you have a list of subjects (the song titles) and durations (the lengths of each song) and the Concept Album Talks were born.
And so we devised a set of seven rules:
- We’ll pick a record.
- The name of the album will be the name of the event.
- Each talk will be a track on the album.
- We’ll arrange the speakers. Each speaker will be limited to the running time of the track.
- Each speaker will have to give a talk that makes sense of the track title.
- They won’t be able to talk about the song though.
- That’s it.
We’re pleased to say that we’re doing it again on Monday November 23rd at 6pm. The next album will be the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds. To whet your appetite, here is the track list and their lengths:
- “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” 2:25
- “You Still Believe in Me” 2:31
- “That’s Not Me” 2:28
- “Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)” 2:53
- “I’m Waiting for the Day” 3:05
- “Let’s Go Away for Awhile” 2:18
- “Sloop John B” 2:58
- “God Only Knows” 2:51
- “I Know There’s an Answer” 3:09
- “Here Today” 2:54
- “I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times” 3:12
- “Pet Sounds” 2:22
- “Caroline, No” 2:51
We’ll start early and finish early and the venue is the Old Bank of England pub, 194 Fleet St, London EC4A 2LT, starting at 6pm. All the speakers are lined up – and we have some GREAT speakers.
Would you like to come? If you would, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweet me at @HamishMThompson. It would also be really great if you could share a link to this post on Twitter and/or Facebook.